This webinar will discuss the significant changes to the HIPAA rules for business associates, the new challenges for HIPAA covered entities and business associates, and new risks for non-compliance and penalties.
Why Should You Attend:
Since the new regulations have expanded the obligations of HIPAA business associates, it is now more important than ever to carefully consider whether a BA designation is appropriate or not – business associate agreements are not to be entered into lightly. The new requirements have a direct impact on what needs to be put into the business associate agreements you establish.
In addition, other changes put into effect new rights of individuals to receive electronic copies of information held electronically, ask for certain restrictions on disclosures, and other capabilities that business associates may need to provide for their covered entity clients. All covered entities, and now, business associates of covered entities as well, need to review their HIPAA compliance, policies, and procedures to see if they are prepared to meet the changes in the rules.
In addition, business associates have emerged as a leading source of health information breaches, and this course will discuss what covered entities should do to ensure good practices by their business associates in order to avoid the considerable expense of breaches.
Areas Covered in the Webinar:
- The new regulations will be reviewed and their effects on usual practices for business associates and their relationships with covered entities will be discussed.
- The course will describe the kinds of entities that now qualify as business associates and why it is important to carefully consider the designation before using it.
- The webinar instructor will explain what a business associate needs to do differently under the new regulations, provide a policy framework for information security, show what policies need to be changed and how, and describe the required and recommended elements of a business associate agreement, including identifying the template language provided by the US Department of Health and Human Services and its role in the process.
- The role of state attorneys general in enforcing HIPAA and how it relates to business associates will be discussed.
- The new enforcement penalty structure and the latest plans for audits by HHS OCR will be described and a plan for being prepared for audits will be discussed.
Who Will Benefit:
This webinar will provide valuable assistance to all personnel in medical offices, practice groups, hospitals, academic medical centers, insurers, business associates (shredding, data storage, systems vendors, billing services, etc.). The titles are:
- Compliance Director
- Privacy Officer
- Security Officer
- Information Systems Manager
- HIPAA Officer
- Chief Information Officer
- Health Information Manager
- Healthcare Counsel/Lawyer
- Office Manager
- Contracts Manager
Jim Sheldon-Dean is the founder and director of compliance services at Lewis Creek Systems, LLC, a Vermont-based consulting firm founded in 1982, providing information privacy and security regulatory compliance services to a variety of health care providers, businesses, universities, small and large hospitals, urban and rural mental health and social service agencies, health insurance plans, and health care business associates. He serves on the HIMSS Information Systems Security Workgroup, has co-chaired the Electronic Data Interchange Privacy and Security Workgroup, currently serves on the WEDI Breach Notification sub-workgroup, and is a recipient of the 2011 WEDI Award of Merit. He is a frequent speaker regarding HIPAA and information privacy and security compliance issues at seminars and conferences, including speaking engagements at AHIMA national and regional conventions and WEDI national conferences, and before regional HFMA chapter meetings and state hospital associations.
Note: Use coupon code 232082 and get 10% off on registration.
There may be many networking opportunities at the HIPAA and Business Associates - New Responsibilities and Obligations. Find out more in the event details below.
|Conference/Event Dates:||05/13/2015 - 05/13/2015|
|Conference/Event Hours:||10:00 AM PDT | 01:00 PM EDT|
|Primary Industry:||Healthcare General|
|Other Industries:||Business, Healthcare General, Medical Business & Administration, Professional Healthcare|
|Cost to Attend:||$199.00 One Dial-in One Attendee|
Information Systems Manager
|Booth Size||Booth Cost||Available Amenities|
|No exhibiting at this event.||Electricity:||n/a|
|Marketing Vehicles Allowed:||n/a|
|Other Booth Sizes Available: n/a|
How do I show up here?
Add a note here, it is only visible by you.