Orlando , FL 32809 Location map
The Florida Hotel and Conference Center
Academic Impressions - A System-Wide Approach to Advising for Retention
Improve your retention rates by learning new approaches to advising from three of the country’s leading authorities on academic support services.
Research shows that effective academic advising is a key strategy for increasing student persistence and success. However, few campuses implement a strategic approach to providing effective academic advising. This event will bring together institutional teams to take an in-depth look at how to coordinate professional advising, faculty advising, and institutional support for advising to best retain and support students across campus.
The conference will kick off with a retention simulation to help you understand the key risk factors that cause students to drop out of school, taking an in-depth look at the research on retention and student success as it relates to advising. You will then explore the key elements of an effective advising program: advising mission, organization, training, delivery, and assessment. These sessions provide content, activities and action-planning time that will help you determine how to implement or improve these key elements on your campus. The final day of the conference is geared toward helping you finalize an action plan to improve advising on your campus. The sessions will focus on how to prioritize efforts and implement change through presentations, faculty-facilitated discussions, and work time.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
This program is ideal for institutional teams who are thinking about or working on a plan to maximize the impact of academic advising on student success and retention, including professionals in the following roles:
- Provosts, deans, vice presidents, and other administrators who oversee a variety of academic support services, including academic advising
- Academic affairs individuals responsible for coordinating and supporting faculty advisors
- Directors of academic advising and student success services and programs
- Professional and faculty advisors
- Retention coordinators and specialists
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
This conference is right for you if you want to better organize advising on your campus to align with and support the institution’s broader retention efforts. The sessions will give you the information you need to:
- Integrate the most current research on student retention into your advising program’s practices
- Align your advising program’s mission and goals with your institution’s mission for student success
- Organize your advising program to maximize your advising system’s impact on retention
- Define what constitutes quality advising and why quality advising is critical to retention efforts
- Analyze the best advising delivery strategies and modes for your institution
CONFERENCE FORMAT: A PEER LEARN AND WORK EVENT
Knowing that this event will be attended by your peers that have experienced similar challenges, the conference has been designed to capitalize on your experiences. You and your team members will be connected with similar practitioners to discuss and contextualize the conference content over the course of the event.
Contact the event managers listed below for more information about how you can participate at the Academic Impressions - A System-Wide Approach to Advising for Retention.
Provosts, deans, vice presidents, and other administrators who oversee a variety of academic support services, including academic advising
Academic affairs individuals responsible for coordinating and supporting faculty advisors
Directors of academic advising and student success services and programs
Professional and faculty advisors
Retention coordinators and specialists
Exhibitor Information +